Environmental issues get considerable attention from the government and the private sector actually cares about the issue which becomes the main purpose of the grants for energy efficient windows. “Why windows?” People unaware of the home efficiency effort may ask the question because changing the windows only seems to be a trivial thing to do for the huge effort of maintaining environmental sustainability. Well at least “the trivial thing” is doable quite easily in our community and may increase our environmental awareness to do bigger efforts in the future.
In this article, we will provide you with information regarding the grants for energy efficient windows, including their types and the way to get them. First, we will discuss the types of grants available, such as:
Government Grants for Energy Efficient Windows
- Energy Star Tax Credit: this tax credit is awarded under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Tax Act of 2009. With this policy the customers who buy skylight and windows certified with Energy Star is qualify for up to $1500 tax credit. To be able to participate in this program you have to purchase windows and skylight with energy star sticker on it.
- Weatherization Assistance: This grant program is provided by the United States Department of Energy in order to assist families with low income to be able to reduce their energy bill permanently using energy efficient windows. In this program the federal fund is managed and dispersed through state and local government. Visit your state or local government to see if you qualify for this program.
- Local loans and rebate: many state and local government provide assistance and incentives programs to homeowner to install and start using energy-efficient windows. Call and check your local and state government and ask for information about the programs.
In the second part of this articles we will provide you with information about places where you can get the grants for energy efficient windows especially in New Mexico State. Here is the list:
- NM HUD Grants: These grants are issued by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to low-income homeowners who want to improve their home energy efficiency through home repairs and improvement. This is including replacing old windows and door with new energy-efficient ones. To apply for this grant you can visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development office, Centurion Silver 625 Silver Avenue, SW Suite 100, Albuquerque, NM 87102-3185 or call them at 505-346-6463 or visit their website at hud.gov.
- Housing New Mexico: this grant is provided by The New Mexico Mortgage Finance Authority to low-income homeowners in New Mexico who want to improve their home energy efficiency. The preferred applicants for this grant are: senior citizens, disabled, families with children, and low-income families. You can get more information about this grant for energy efficient windows by directly visiting the office at New Mexico Mortgage Finance Authority 703 Osuna Road, NE, Suite #2 Albuquerque, NM 87113 or call it first by phone at 505-345-4949 or visit the website at housingnm.org
But, if you are a Muslim, Avoid interest or RIBA!!
- NM Energy$mart Program (https://housingnm.org/home-repair-and-energy-efficiency/energymart-weatherization-assistance)
- HUD New Mexico: Home Improvements (https://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/states/new_mexico)
- Department of Energy: Weatherization Assistance Program (https://energy.gov/eere/wipo/weatherization-and-intergovernmental-programs-office)
- Images: zenwindowsnc.com