Cash Assistance for Single Moms

Cash Assistance for Single Moms – Getting financial aid for single moms is not impossible, as long as you are qualified for it and you know where to look. Many single-parent families need cash assistance to pay for their monthly expenses. After all, the cost of raising children for a single parent is higher compared to normal families with two parents because they have to spend more money on baby daycare and other necessary costs. There an even grim statistics showing that more than 40% of single-mother families are poor, and some of them can’t afford to get proper food and housing for their families.

Is there any cash assistance available? The United States government has provided several programs that may be able to help these people. While there is a program that can provide cash assistance, it is important to remember that the program is for a temporary purpose only. Another important thing to know is that the government administers several other programs that may be able to help the specific needs of these single mothers and their families.


Cash Assistance for Single Moms – The Options

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

This is the true source for financial aid for single moms who are below the poverty level. As we have mentioned earlier, it’s a short-term assistance that can help the single moms (and other needy families) get through hardships in life. The monthly stipend is given via a debit card-like EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer).  The amount of money received varies by state, since it is administered by each state government. Typically the eligibility is based on the number of person in the household, as well as the income (this variable is also varied between states).

The limit for this benefit varies depending on which state you’re living in, but the maximum time is 60 months or five years. In some extreme cases, the DSHS will give an extension of the time limit for selected families. The amount of money is not much, with the average monthly stipend given for a single mom with two children is at $330. It’s not much, we understand, but it can still help a bit, right? If you’re interested to apply, contact your county’s Department of Job and Family Services.

Non-Cash Assistance for Single Moms

As we have mentioned earlier, there are several other programs designed by the government to help those who are in need. Below are some of them:

Medicaid – Everybody knows this program. It’s a medical insurance available for low-income families. They offer great coverage, but the details are different in every state. Please consult your Department of Health about how to apply and also the Medicaid benefits in your local area.

Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children – Often known as the WIC program, this one is aimed to help pregnant women, single moms with infants, and also children (up to 5 years old) to get nutritious foods.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) – It’s a famous program that was once called the Food Stamps program. Given in the form of credit-card-like, the program allows you to buy food for your families. As you know, food can be considered as one of the biggest expenditure for any families, so having one will certainly help relieve that burden off your shoulders. The eligibility is mainly based on income, and it is administered by either the Department of Health and Human Services or the Department of Social Services.

Daycare Assistance – Daycare for your children can be extremely expensive. There are several ways to get help covering the cost. Typically there are some Public Assistance Programs that are provided for low-income single working moms in every state, in which information can be found in your state’s Department of Health and Human Services. You can also ask them about the Head Start program, which is also an excellent program that can help you to care for your children (under five) while you work.

Low-Income Housing Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) – It’s a program that can help you pay your utilities bills and weatherization procedures. Typically administered by the Department of Health and Human Services’ Administration for Children and Families office, it is the program you need to keep your family warm during winter and cool throughout the summer.