Government Funding for Home Insulation – In a time when our financial situation does not work really well every penny counts. In such a time effort to make the household budget more economically efficient is really welcomed. One of the efforts that can be done to make the budget more efficient is by applying for a government grants for home insulation. The cost to make our house warm on a cold day and cool on a hot day is apparently not cheap. This cost can be cut by addressing the energy inefficiency by installing energy saving products on your houses such as insulation through the Weatherization Assistance Program or WAP.
According to the U.S Department of Energy website eere.energy.gov, the government grants for home insulation and the whole WAP’s weatherization services are available for low-income residents. The service included the weatherization program including efficiency effort to the building’s heating and cooling system, electricity consuming appliances as well as its electrical system.
Application for Government Grant for Home Insulation
Before start applying for government assistance for home insulation and the WAP program, let’s find out if you are eligible for one. Based on information from eere.energy.gov families that are eligible for the WAP program in the U.S amounted to 20 to 30 million. Families and people who are eligible to apply for the grants among others are:
- The receiver of Supplemental Security Income
- The receiver of Aid to Families with Dependent Children
- Families with at least one or more members with a physical or mental disability
- Old citizens over 60 years of age
- Families with Children in most states are eligible for the WAP program or the government grants for home insulation. Keep in mind that the program handled by local weatherization agencies and each state may have slightly different eligibility criteria.
- Families with income below “200% poverty level” as stated in the DOE Poverty Income Guidelines for 2009. You can find the PDF for the guidelines in the references link below.
If you think you are eligible for the government grant for home insulation and the WAP program it’s time to apply for it. Here are the steps of the application process:
- Visit or call the local agency in charge of handling the WAP program. There is no need to visit the Department of Energy for this matter because all WAP services are provided by local agencies.
- During your visit to the local agency ask for the WAP program application form and fill it out to apply. This step only takes about 20 minutes assuming you have prepared all the necessary documents for the application such as proof of income, and landlord permission if you live in a rented building.
- Based on your application form and your submitted document your eligibility for the grants is determined.
- After you, eligibility is confirmed you will have a professional energy consultation to analyze your energy bills. Inspect equipment for safety and health, list the improvement that can be made to the building energy-wise.
- Wait for the workers to come to do the weatherization jobs.
- Apply for Weatherization Assistance. www1.eere.energy.gov/wip/wap_apply.html
- US Federal Grants for Home Insulation. ehow.com/facts_6803277_federal-grants-home-insulation.html
- Images: cavity-insulation-grants.com, governmentinsulationgrants.co.uk, lyndseyyoung.co.uk.