Financial Assistance for Divorce

Financial Assistance for Divorce – Divorce often means financial disaster, especially for the woman. A study said that 4 out of 10 women having a divorce are depressed and anxious, and financial conditions may be one of the causes. There are indeed other matters that are more important than money (such as managing trauma caused by the failed relationship, managing emotional counseling, legal advice, etc). However, getting financial aid after a divorce is also important to help these women stand on their feet once again.

Women who are divorced and have to take care of their children are the ones who need this type of assistance the most. Single-parent households will require a lot of effort, and we’re here to help. Below are some of the financial aid options for women during or after their divorce process:


Financial Assistance for Women in Divorce

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families

The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program is initiated by the Department of Health and Human Services. The program can provide some temporary cash assistance that may be able to support you while you’re on the process of getting divorced. It can also temporarily support you and your children before you get a job. To apply, please contact the local Department of Health and Human Services near you.

Note that there’s a special program for single parents who need financial aid from the DHHS called the Parents as Scholars. If you’re planning to get an education after your divorce, you can use this assistance. It is also important to know the existence of Pine Tree Legal Assistance, which can help giving legal advice for people who are denied to apply for the TANF. Just as the name suggests, the TANF itself is made as a temporary assistance, so you need to prepare a backup plan.

Emergency Assistance Program

This is another program offered by the same department. Since divorce can often mean financial emergency, you may qualify for the program, depending on your income. The Emergency assistance program can provide help to cover security deposit for renting a place to stay during emergency to prevent eviction. Moreover, the program can also assist to pay the utility bills. Unfortunately, the Emergency Assistance Program is only available for low-income families with children under 21 years old, and the assistance is only available for 30 days per year.

Alternative Aid Assistance

Before applying for the TANF program, you should try consider the Alternative Aid Assistance program. It is also administered by the DHHS and it is basically a financial help that is supposed to prevent too many people relying on TANF. The amount of assistance is equal to three months of TANF benefits, and it is available once per year. It’s a good option if you’re not really on a pinch and need some emergency money for your divorce.

That’s it. Those are the government programs that may be able to give financial help for divorce process and after.


  • Grants & Contracts –
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) –
  • Image: