How to Get Help Paying Rent

How to Get Help Paying Rent – Housing has always been expensive, especially for people whose budget is limited. They barely able to pay for the basic living expenses, yet they still have to pay that rent every month. We have enlisted several possible options that you can try.

TIP #1: If you have already seen the sign of inability pay for rent, immediately start looking for help. Application and selection process for the assistance will definitely take more than a week. Some program even has a waiting list.

TIP #2: You also have to proactively find solutions to solve the rent problem. First off you should be honest with your landlord and tell them that you may be late on payment. Try to negotiate with the landlord or you can also split the rent bills by getting a roommate.


Tips on How to Get Help Paying Rent

Without further ado, below are your options on how to get help paying your rent:

Department of Housing and Urban Development

The Housing Choice Vouchers program is provided by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. You may know this program as a Section 8 voucher. The program provides access to decent housing for low-income families, the disabled and the elderly. It’s an indirect program, so the government will hand the money to the landlord. The approved families must find the landlord that agrees to follow the program. Unfortunately, there are too little fund and too many applicants, so the waiting list is pretty long. Typically the application and selection process is administered by the HUD’s approved, local Public Housing Agency. Find one near you and ask about this possibility.

We also recommend you contacting the HUD’s Housing Counseling Program. While this program cannot provide you with financial assistance for paying your rent, they can help low-income families to find affordable housing, along with the available assistance program in your area.

Department of Agriculture

Help with paying rent doesn’t always come in the form of grants. You have to admit that getting a grant is easier said than done. Your chance will be higher if you choose to get financial assistance in the form of subsidized loan instead. The USDA offers several programs that may be able to help families living in rural areas to pay for their rent or even help them pay the mortgage payment.

These subsidized loan programs are called the Single Family Housing assistance and also the Rural Housing Direct Loan. Other programs for housing from USDA are the Home Repair Loan, Guaranteed Loan Program, and Mutual Self-Help program. Eligibility is typically determined by the income of your household. Contact the USDA for these programs.

Assistance from Non Government

You can find assistance from nongovernment sources, including charities, organizations or foundations. Some notable examples are Modest Needs, Salvation Army, Catholic Charities, etc. To learn which non-government assistance programs available in your area, we recommend contacting your state’s Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Social Services or United Way 211 hotline for information on how to get help with paying rent.

We hope that this post can assist you find the help you need!