Grants for Elderly Home Improvement

Are you looking for grants for elderly home improvement? When you’re retired due to age and now in senior age, it can be financially hard to save some money to cover the cost of home improvement by yourself. The fixed income is often enough only for daily expenses. Therefore, getting a grant is one of the best solutions when you need to repair your home.

It is important to note that our government does provide several grants for this matter. However, you have to follow some strict rules to qualify for the grants. There may also be some competition from fellow senior citizen. After all, grants are basically free money.

Usually the elderly consider getting a home improvement to have some modifications to the house in order to increase the safety aspect of their living spaces. Below are some government-funded programs aimed to help senior citizens dealing with this matter:


Grants for Elderly Home Improvement Programs

USDA Home Repair Grant

If you’re an elderly person planning to get home improvements in order to make the house a safer place for you and your spouse, you can use help from the US Department of Agriculture. Only people who are more than 62 years of age are allowed to apply for the program. Another important filter is the income level. You need to have a maximum earning of 50% of the area’s median income. Last but not least, your house should be inside of the USDA’s targets, which are mainly at rural areas of the country. Therefore, we are pretty sure that people living in downtown New York won’t qualify for financial assistance. Check out their official site to get complete information about the application process and the requirements needed.

HUD’s Reverse Mortgage Program

The US Department of Housing and Urban Development offers a program called the Reverse Mortgage. You need to be at least 62 years of age and you have to own the house. The program can be used for various things, and one of them is for home improvement repairs. What’s great about this grant program is that it doesn’t consider the minimum income as the factor to determine the grant award winners. This is a great option if you are not qualified for the previous grant we mentioned earlier.

Specially Adapted Housing Grant

Veterans of the United States Army can get grants for elderly home improvement through the US Department of Veterans Affair’s Specially Adapted Housing grant program. If you have served your country in the military and got disabled during your service you can apply for the grant. Some examples of disabilities are the loss of an arm, blindness, or burn injuries.

Remember, there is fierce competition for the grant. You should pay attention to the grant requirements so that your application won’t be removed due to administrative errors. In general, the grant programs commonly ask for recent tax returns, housing assessments, social security numbers, etc. Prepare all the documents as soon as possible, and hopefully by the time you need them you’ll be ready.

I hope you can get the grants for elderly home improvements you want!


One Response

  1. Wilbur Moore April 16, 2017

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.