What are Ramadan events in USA? During Ramadan, Muslims all over the world have their time for fasting and charity. Muslim communities in the USA will also host some events to commemorate the month of prayer. The holiday commemorates the month when the Islamic holy book, called Qur’an was first revealed more than a thousand years ago.
Based on the Islamic 12-month calendar, the ninth month is Ramadan. Why Ramadan falls at different times every year because the calendar uses a lunar cycle.
Muslims who are capable (physically) – will not eat or drink every day from dawn until sunset in this holy month. During fasting, Muslims also spend their time making themselves better and spreading kindness to others. Also, they pray throughout the day and night and even read the Qur’an.
After that, Muslims will break their fast at sunset, together with their family, and friends, or on their own. Muslims come together for prayer, food, and community.
You can also find many Mosques or Muslim organizations that offer fundraisers, halaqah, volunteer events, and classes related to Islam. After breaking their fast, they come to the local mosque to do the night prayer, called Taraweeh.
What Are Ramadhan Events in the USA
Muslim Americans represent unique traditions and cultures around the world. There are about 3.45 million Muslim Americans of all ages staying in the United States in 2017. 58% of them were born in another country, this data is based on the Pew Research Center.
Every place has a different way of how commemorating Ramadan. In this post, we have compiled some information about Ramadan events in the USA:
Well, here are the events you can participate in to commemorate Ramadan in Minnesota:
- March 31, 2023: Oromo Community of Minnesota Community Iftar – Free. 7 p.m. at 465 Mackubin Street, Saint Paul, MN 55103. You can contact the executive director: at 651-217-4446 (Bahar Oumer)
- April 1, 2023: ARAHA: The American Relief Agency for the Horn of Africa (ARAHA) drought fundraiser iftar – Cost: $30 (general admission), event at 5:30 p.m. at John P. Murzyn Hall, 530 Mill St. NE Columbia Heights, MN 55421. Contact: [email protected]April 1, 2023: Building Blocks of Islam iftar. The event at 6 p.m. at Mounds View Community Center, 5394 Edgewood Dr, Mounds View, MN 55112. The cost of this event is free, but you should register first here. Contact: [email protected]
- April 1, 2023: Taking Heart Ramadan Interfaith Iftar, ongoing event, 7:15 p.m. at Wisdom House, 222 East Walnut Street, Mankato, MN 56001. The cost for admission is free, but you should register first here. Contact: [email protected] (Cynthia Bronson Sweigert)
- April 2, 2023: Council on American-Islamic Relations Minnesota Annual Iftar. The event starts at 5:30 p.m. at the University of Minnesota Coffman Union, 300 Washington Avenue Southeast Minneapolis, MN 55455. The cost for admission is free, and you can get an RSVP here.
- April 2, 2023: Muslim American Society Food Shelf, ongoing event. The event starts at 11 a.m. at 15400 S Robert Trail, Rosemount, MN 55068. Every second Sunday of the month. The cost for free. Also, food distribution is on a first-come, first-served basis. To join this event, contact 651-252-1186
- Rabata’s halaqa Sundays for women and girls is an ongoing event. This event starts at 1:30 p.m. at 3533 Lexington Ave. N, Arden Hills, MN 55126. The cost for submission is free. You can contact Michelle Sekusky at [email protected].
If you need information about Ramadan events in the USA, especially Minnesota, get the schedule by visiting Sahan Journal.
Minneapolis is a vibrant place for the Somali Community, one of the biggest in the country. Also, many people practice Islam and therefore, you can find halal restaurants, fundraisers, and donations for the Muslim community. Here are some Ramadan Events in the USA, fundraisers, and donations in Minneapolis:
- CAIR MN Ramadan Fundraiser starts on April 2, 2023; at 5:30 pm at Coffman Memorial Union.
- Ramadan Soirée & Iftar With Sisters! will be held on April 9, 2023; 8 – 11 pm in Minneapolis (event location provided after official RSVP). You can come together to commemorate Ramadan and the first anniversary of our Sister Circle program. This event is open to the general public & book club/sister circle members! To join, RSVP via text here: 507-460-7187. For deadline to RSVP is March 26, 2023 (closed).
Just like other Muslims all over the world, Muslims in New York abstain from drinking, eating, anger, and acting. They also do other ways of worship, including reading the Quran, prayer, and charity. Here are the Ramadan events in the USA, especially New York you should know:
- March 31, 2023, at 1:15 p.m.: Khutbah with Abdullah al Mamun – This event will be held at Brooklyn Islamic Center (722 Church Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11218 United States)
- April 1, 2023, at 5:00 p.m.: the speaker is Mufti Muhammad Ibn Muneer, presented by Masjid Ur Rashid (Address: 352 Main St 352 Main Street Beacon, NY 12508 United States). You can come together with your family and bring your iftar to share.
- April 5, 2023, at 7:15 p.m.: Multicultural Feast where you can join Iftar or dinner. Confirm your ticket and your name here: @[email protected]
Commonly, mosques host large iftars for the poor. After Iftar, they gather to do night prayers or Tarawih. If you live in California, and you want to get more information about Ramadan events there, here are some available events to know about:
- Sunday, April 2: Annual Ramadan Interfaith Iftar 2023 – Pacifica Institute and Bay Cultural Connections (BayCC) invite you to come to this event. This event is free and starts at 6:30 – 9:30 pm at Mountain View Community Center 201 South Rengstorff Avenue Mountain View, CA 94040 United States.
- Saturday, April 8: al-Furqaan Annual Ramadan Iftar 1444 by AICP Bay Area – This free event starts at 7:30 pm at Newark Pavillion 6430 Thornton Avenue Newark, CA 94560 United States. The event includes Ramadan Dinner, Qur’an Recitation, Islamic Chants, Distinguished Speakers, and Tarawih Prayer.
- Thursday, April 13: Iftar by the Sea by LA Muslim Creatives – This event is for free, starts at 6-8:30 pm at Point Vicente Interpretive Center 31501 Palos Verdes Drive West Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275 United States. If you want to get more information about this event, email them at [email protected].
- Friday, April 14: Ramadan Iftar with Brothers – This event starts at 7:30 – 9:30 pm at Building 18 4701 Patrick Henry Drive Santa Clara, CA 95054 United States.
- ISWV: Ramadan Community Iftar – This community invites you to break the fast every Friday night. They will host five-weekend iftars in this holy month. Families or individuals can come together to get iftar. Additionally, families and individuals can donate any amount of donations to sponsor the iftar. The community will use the fund to get supplies for iftar.
- Tuesday, April 4: St. Petersburg’s 5th Annual Iftar Dinner – This is a free event that starts at 6:30 – 9 pm at The Coliseum 535 4th Avenue North St. Petersburg, FL 33701 United States. The program includes a free dinner, an interfaith program, and guest speakers.
- Thursday, April 6: Ramadan Open house Iftar at Masjid Al-Ansar. This free program starts at · 6 – 9 pm at Masjid Al-Ansar 5245 Northwest 7th Avenue Miami, FL 33127 United States. The Open House Iftar can be a great opportunity for families and individuals to break the fast and share a meal. You will interact with their Muslim community to know more about the true spirit of Ramadan.
- Monday, April 10: A Jewish-Muslim-Christian Dialogue and Ramadan Iftar Dinner by Interfaith Center of Northeast Florida – This is a free event starts at 6:15 – 9 pm, at Jacksonville Jewish Center 3662 Crown Point Road Jacksonville, FL 32257 United States. You will join together with the communities for a discussion about various religious holidays, traditions, and rituals.
- Thursday, April 13: Ramadan Banquet and Awards Night by Muslim Ambassadors of Peace – This is a free event, starts at 5:30 – 8:30 pm EDT, at Valencia College East Campus 701 North Econlockhatchee Trail Orlando, FL 32825 United States. To attend this event, you must register yourself first. You can email them at [email protected] (Huda Qadri).
- Tuesday, April 18: Celebrate this rare Holy Month by JAM & ALL Interfaith – This free program starts at 6:30 pm, at Islamic Foundation of South Florida (IFSF) 5455 Northwest 108th Avenue Sunrise, FL 33351 United States.
Those are all the available events you can follow during this holy month in the USA. If you want to get more information about Ramadan events in the USA, out of the places above, you can use this website to search.
Ramadan is the holy month for Muslims all over the world. It is the best moment to renew their focus, especially on the spiritual life. During Ramadan, Muslims abstain from drink and food, especially during the daylight hours. This is known as fast, as one of the pillars of Islam.
During the day, they engage in charity and use their time to do spiritual activities including reading the Quran and praying. Besides, Muslims break the fast with an evening meal, known as iftar when the sun goes down. Iftar is a family or community event. Mosques and Community Centers set long tables to break their fast together.
- Want to find ways to give back, celebrate, and build community during Ramadan? Here’s a list of free and ticketed events across Minnesota
- Muslim Americans celebrate Ramadan
- Your Guide to Ramadan in Minneapolis