Grants for Students with Deceased Parents

Young students who have lost a parent could really use grants for students with deceased parents. While there may be some money from the insurance, it is often that the amount is barely enough to cover years of daily expense and create a new source of income, let alone paying for years of tuition. This is true especially if the student is not a single child. Just imagine if there are three other children in their school years.

Students who have lost a parent may be eligible for federal government higher education grant programs. For instance, Pell Grants designed specifically for students with a deceased parent. Additionally, each U.S. state provides scholarships and grants to students with financial need, particularly those whose parent died while working in public service. The significant benefit of grants is that they offer financial assistance for education without the obligation of repayment.

Available Grants and Scholarships for Students With Deceased Parents

Therefore, we have compiled several grant opportunities available for students with deceased parents. Below are some of them:

Kid’s Chance Scholarship

If you lost your parent because of an on-the-job injury, this organization can provide grants to help you with your studies. Currently, the organization’s office can be found in 24 states in United States. The grant amount differs depending on several factors. Children of people who are disabled because on-the-job injuries are also eligible.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

You may be eligible for this grant if your parent is deceased because injuries sustained during their time of service in the Armed Forces in Afghanistan or Iraq after the September 11, 2001. This grant works like a security net. As you know, most of the Pell Grants are given based on income. So, if you don’t qualify due to the income criteria, you can apply for this grant. Note that the grant has the same amount with the maximum amount given by Pell grant for that year.


Government Grants for Students with Deceased Parent

Veteran Affairs Survivors and Dependent Assistance

Here’re another military-related grants. This one is available for student with a deceased and disabled parent during their service or service-related conditions. The Veteran Affairs provides $1,000 per month, up to 45 months. You may be interested to know that the grant can also be used for another purpose than paying college’s tuition fee. You can use the grant for certification programs or job training.

Life Lessons Scholarship Program

This program is administered by a Life Happens, a nonprofit organization. The money is for covering the costs of tuition etc of college, university or trade schools. Applicants must submit an essay or video, explaining the impact of your parent’s death to your life and how a good life insurance plan could have helped you. There is around $175,000 available each year for students who have lost their parent, and each student receives between $2,000 and $15,000.

Government Grants for College – FSEOGs

Government grants for college can significantly reduce educational expenses. Among these grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs) are available for students with the highest financial need.

Unlike Pell Grants, the amount of FSEOGs depends on the financial need, availability of funds at your school, and the amount of other aid you receive. While not all schools participate in FSEOG programs, if yours does and you are eligible, your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will serve as your application for both FSEOG and Pell Grant programs.

State Grants for College

State-based college grants are available in virtually every state in the U.S. These programs aim to assist low-income and disadvantaged students in financing their tuition for universities, community colleges, and technical schools. They often prioritize the children of individuals who died while providing public services, such as police officers, firefighters, and military veterans.

For instance, in Minnesota, there are several grant programs available:

  • Public Safety Officer’s Survivor Grant: This program offers waivers of tuition at state colleges and the University of Minnesota for the children of public safety officers who died in the line of duty.
  • Minnesota Educational Assistance for War Orphans: This grant provides financial assistance to the children of military veterans who died as a result of a service-connected condition.
  • Education Vouchers for Former Youth in Care: This program offers educational vouchers to individuals who were formerly in foster care. The goal is to help cover the costs of attending college or technical schools.

These state-based grants are valuable resources for students in need of financial assistance to pursue their higher education goals.

The Aretta J. Graham Scholarship

The Aretta J. Graham Scholarship is for the students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of ACES. Priority is for the students who have lost one or both parents. However, the scholarship is also available to students from single-parent households or single parents who are also pursuing their education.

David J. Ewing Scholarship

The David J. Ewing Scholarship is open to full-time students at the University of North Texas who have experienced the loss of a parent. The scholarship amount varies depending on the availability of funds. Along with the application, applicants must submit two letters of recommendation, any available high school or college transcripts, a two-page essay outlining why they need the scholarship, and a copy of their Student Aid Report from their FAFSA application.

The W.H. “Howie” McClennan Scholarship Fund

The W.H. “Howie” McClennan Scholarship Fund, backed by the International Association of Fire Fighters Charitable Foundation. It provides financial aid for secondary education to children of IAFF members who lost a parent in the line of duty. Each year, the fund awards students $2,500 for up to four years.

If you are the biological or adopted child of a deceased IAFF member, you must submit an official transcript. Also, you need a brief statement outlining your desire to attend university, and two letters of recommendation by February 1st for the scholarship.

Other Scholarships

There are various grants available for people who have lost their parents. You just need to know how to search it. First, we recommend looking for a grant that is related to the cause of death of your parent. For example, if your parent died from a form of cancer, you should look for a scholarship or grant that focuses on a specific type of cancer.  You can also search for state-based grant programs, which are usually pretty generous if your parent was a member of the police, firefighters or armed forces.

I hope the post can help you find grants for college students with deceased parent.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.