Grants For Social Justice are provided by federal government or private sector in order to help increasing opportunities especially for community populations that are economically, socially, and politically unprivileged. The grants are awarded for many purposes such as economic development, art, health care and so on. Now we will provide you information about one of the Social Justice Grant Fund provided by private sector donator: the Sisters of St. Francis. The grant from Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia foundation was established in 1981in order to deal with social injustice as well as promote empowerment and self help. The main purpose of the grant from the Sisters of St. Francis is to share the resources they own to help the oppressed, the poor and marginalized in our society.
For person interested applying for this grant, there are several criteria to fulfill in order to qualify for the funding. The main requirement for the proposed program is to be directly supported and involved the people who benefit from it. Other requirement that it has to achieve at least one or more following target:
- Promote empowerment of communities and self-help
- Deal with the injustice basic cause and encourage systemic change
- Provide the need of those who are marginalized, oppressed and poor in the community, especially children and women.
If you wish to apply for the grant program, first you have you complete a screening form. To get the one-page screening form you have to send an e-mail to request it along with your name, name of organization and mail address to [email protected]. The purpose of the screening are to process your application process, determine your grant eligibility, as well as application preliminary selection.
Here is information you have to know about this grant program:
- No grant awarded for operational expenses or salaries, except for applicant from outside the States
- Proof of tax-exempt status has to be included in the grant application.
- $5,000 is the maximum amount of grant awarded for a single project/program.
- Each organization is only permitted to send one application each year
- Applicant from outside the United States has to include a letter from major superior or the ordinary of the diocese.
- If there was previous attempt to look for other funding sources it has to be documented in the application.
- The grants are awarded twice a year.
- For the Spring cycle grant application it has to be postmarked no later than November 15; and for the fall cycle at least May 15. Incomplete and late application will not be reviewed and returned.
- The grant application must include the scope and the objective of the program.
For more detailed information about this Grants for Social Justice you can contact the foundation’s representatives Albertus Dougherty, OSF, Secretary, Corporate Social Responsibility office at The Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia, 609 S. Convent Rd. Aston, PA 19014 or through phone call at 610-558-7705.
- Social Justice Grantmaking: A Report on Foundation Trends
- Social Justice Grant Fund
- Images: law.scu.edu, blog.grdodge.org, educationjustice.net