Increasingly frequent natural disaster due to global change has also increased the demand for grants for disaster relief. As the world becomes warmer and hotter, thanks to what so-called greenhouse gases, the climate change also influences the behavior of nature around us. This change leads to more frequent natural disaster all over the world as well as the unpredicted and unusual occurrence of a disaster in what was a disaster-free area. After those disasters occur there will be disaster victims looking for the relief but don’t know where to look. This article is intended to help those people by providing simple direction on how to apply for grants for disaster relief. Here is the step by step direction:
Steps to Apply Grant for Disaster Relief:
- Go online, visit this website http://www.govbenefits.gov/govbenefits_en.portal. If you write the website address correctly you will a questionnaire from the GovBenefits.gov. Fill in all the necessary information, don’t worry because all the information you give is confidential. You will find a welcome greeting as follow: “For your most comprehensive benefit search, take our confidential questionnaire!” click a button that says “start here”.
- After the questionnaire is completed, the website will display all available programs that you are eligible for.
- Another way to access the information for grants for disaster relief is to look under the “Quick Benefit Search” heading to find a drop-down menu that will show you a list of various benefits program offered at the website, such as: Counsel/Counseling, Disaster Relief, Education/Training, Food/Nutrition, Health Care, Disability Assistance, Grants/Scholarships/Fellowships, Housing Energy Assistance, Child Care/Child Support, and Career Development Assistance. Simply choose the disaster relief option.
- Next step is to check the program eligibility for you the complete a questionnaire.
- After you finish the questionnaire you will be given a list of programs you can apply. You just need to double-click the program that seems fit your need and you will get a pop up giving you more detailed information on the grant’s benefits and how to apply for it
Besides from the GovBenefits.gov, you can also get the grants for disaster relief by directly applying to some non-profit organization or government agency known to provide those types of grants. Here we will also provide a list of federal grants for disaster relief and where you can apply for them:
- Direct Housing-Natural Disaster Loans and Grants
This program offering loans and grant for the homeowner in a rural area affected by a natural disaster. For more information about this grant, you can contact the office at Single Family Housing Direct Loan Division, Rural Housing Programs, U.S. Department of Agriculture, 1400 Independence Avenue SW, Washington, District of Columbia 20250, call them at 202-720-1474 or visit the website at rurdev.usda.gov
- Federal Assistance to Individuals and Households
This program provides loan and grant for home replacement, home repairs and temporary housing, medical expenses, funeral expenses and other miscellaneous expenses for people in need due to a natural disaster. Further information about this grant can be obtained at Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), 245 Murray Lane Bldg. #410, Washington, District of Columbia 20523, telephone at 202-646-3943 and website at fema.gov.
- GovBenefits.gov. govbenefits.gov/govbenefits_en.portal
- Federal Grants Wire: Natural Disaster Loans and Grants. federalgrantswire.com/direct-housingnatural-disaster-loans-and-grants.html
- Federal Grants Wire: Federal Assistance to Individuals and Households. federalgrantswire.com/federal-assistance-to-individuals-and-householdshousing.html
- Federal Grants Wire: Livestock Assistance Program. federalgrantswire.com/livestock-assistance-program.html
- Images: lionsclubs.org, hsi.org.au, whosno1.blogspot.com